the nest

the nest

Monday, October 7, 2013

Random Monday morning thoughts...

It's been a while since I've visited.  This is a tricky time of year for me.  Lots going on and lots to coordinate.  At the same time, I struggle with the shortening days.  The dark mornings make it difficult to get moving and I have a hard time staying focused on whatever the "task at hand" might be.

I have a love/hate thing with Autumn.  The colors, smells, and the coolness are delicious.  I love soup and bread and chili and all foods that are for fall.  But the increasing darkness affects me in a way that is often frustrating, sometimes just annoying.  For a decade now I've acknowledged that SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is part of my make up and a low dose anti-depressant has been a useful tool to allow me to continue functioning through this challenging stretch of the year.  I don't like it, but can't function without it.

This fall, there have been so many ups and downs.  The sudden loss of my Father-in-Law, the perpetual financial stressors of our life, the state of our government, the challenges of raising teenagers... The joy and overwhelming success of our Peace, Love and Music Together Festival on International Peace Day, the love and support of family and friends, and the pleasures of raising teenagers.

Life continues to roll along and sometimes it's easy to "go with the flow" and other times I just want to dig my heels in and yell "STOP!"

So good to always remember that the days getting shorter means that they will start getting longer again soon.  Good to be gentle with ourselves and with others.  When we struggle, it's easy to forget that everyone else has their struggles too.

Be gentle.  Be kind.  Love others.  Breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment