the nest

the nest

Thursday, March 22, 2012

true confessions

Now that I've started writing, I have a lot to say ~ not sure if that's good or not, but I guess it's your choice to read it or not.
I started my grown up life as a Marriage and Family Therapist. I decided rquickly that it wasn't the right job for me. I was like a sponge soaking in people's pain and hate and misery and then I'd go home and squeeze it all over my sweet husband. He would patiently clean up the mess and then we'd move on.
Youth Services was a better fit ~ a balance of time with families and positive youth development work. Thought I just might have found my calling! Then baby number 3 came along and it just didn't work anymore.
After 6 years juggling babies and career, I was diving into being a SAHM (stay at home mom). I think it lasted for 6 months before I was planning my next career.
Fell into a teacher training for Music Together and thought "this will be fun for a few years!"
When I celebrated 10 years of teaching MT, I thought "I HAVE found my calling!"
Until the next week when I started to think, "What's next? I should be doing more. I want to do more."
So then, I apply to the PhD program at UConn where I did my Master's work. Whoo hoo!! Back to academia; I'll be a professor by the time Helen graduates High School!
Only, there were more qualified candidates and my application was rejected. Crap.

I love my work, I love my family, and I'm ridiculously blessed to be able to live the life I live.
Why do I always want more?

3 comments:

  1. Because you are related to Oliver...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane - Just found your blog from your FB post - yay for blogging!
    I think this feeling of always wanting MORE is totally normal - I have it all the time and think the SAME things "why can't I be satisfied with simple and quiet life?"
    I think God designed us this way so we would have that drive to ACHIEVE and He can use us to do great things! Wanting more (of the good stuff, not just "stuff") is not always bad... :)
    You will find it... keep going through the open doors! :)

    ReplyDelete