the nest

the nest

Monday, April 23, 2012

pushover

So less then one month ago I said to my youngest daughter "We are done with dogs! Lily is the last one; NO MORE DOGS!"  I have said many times "If I want another child I'll have a baby, not a dog." 
This morning starts our first full day with a 90 pound 5 year old Cane Corso/Presa Canario mix testing out our family.  What is this you ask?  Daisy is a very large, very sweet dog.  The two breeds she comes from were bred for guarding cows and farms and fighting lions in Roman times respectively.
HOW DID I GET MYSELF INTO THIS?
To make a short story shorter, we heard through the grapevine that there was this dog in Philly whose owner had gone into the hospital for some tests, and two weeks later was dead from Pancreatic Cancer.  The dog walker was caring for Daisy and trying to find her a home outside of Philly as the possibility that she would end up in the illegal dog fighting world was substantial.  Translation... Dog needs rescuing, she's very sweet, her name is Daisy, she needs us.
Lots of dogs need rescuing!  We couldn't rescue a dog that is at least smaller than my youngest child and isn't a breed that scares the bejesus out of me???
Her name is Daisy.  My first dog as a little girl was Daisy.  That Daisy was an 8-10 lb. Miniature Schnauzer.  This Daisy could eat that Daisy for a snack.
I could go on about how as we launch our children we needed something else to care for, but we are a long way from an empty nest.  There is no reason we have to keep filling it up right now.  But, there she is, lying on the floor near me as I type, looking like she should be guarding dragons.  She looks a little like Fang from the Harry Potter movies. 
We are taking two weeks to see how she fits into our lives and whether she wants to keep us or not.  The girls are in love, especially Katy who slept downstairs to keep her company last night. 
Our other dog Lily is not at all sure what the story is with this interloper.  Time and exposure may tell us that they will be best friends, tolerant siblings, or they may not be a good match in which case Daisy will need to find another home.  I hope that's not the case, but it's a possibility. 
We have to figure out if this is the right nest for her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment