the nest

the nest

Monday, April 8, 2013

Into the nest...

Almost a year ago, my family fostered a very large dog named Daisy.   She didn't last with us for many reasons.  She was not a breed well suited to our busy comings and goings.  She was HUGE.  She loved me and me.  She wouldn't let my son in the house.  We had no idea what we were doing.  Some of you will remember.
Tonight, we are adopting a 10 week old chocolate lab puppy who we are naming Luther.  Good breed for our family, impressed with the parents and the breeder who he is coming from, have given lots of thought and conversation to the idea, pretty sure that starting with a puppy from scratch is the right step for us.
I'm excited and kind of wigged out.  I wonder if I should have just had another baby.  I'm pretty sure you will hear a lot about our adventures over the coming months and years.
We've been reading a book called "The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennell.  It promotes a very gentle, dog friendly communication of establishing both order and comfort with your dog.  Very much companions and partners, but with clear leadership from the owner.  I'm finding it very exciting and seeing ways we can still work with some of Lily's (our old lady dog) less desirable behaviors.  I'm ready to spend time with my trainer friend Shelley, and to take classes and go to puppy playgroups.
This all sounds very much like the process we went through when our children were young.  Establishing who cares for who, who feeds who, who protects who, who leads who, who determines things like walk time, playtime, bedtime, snuggle time.

I'll keep you posted  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment