the nest

the nest

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Who are you and what did you do with my wife?

My husband said that to me this past weekend.  He is both mystified and entertained by my increasing levels of energy, focus and jobs completed.  Let's face it.  I have been a life long procrastinator.  I have spent most of my adult life starting one thing and getting distracted and moving on to the next.  Most things eventually get done, but only the ones I'm really interested in.
Our 15 year old can stretch a 30 minute task into a 3 day project.  She learned from a master.

JUST DO IT

This has been my New Year's resolution.  Taking charge of my health and wellness is rippling over into the rest of my life and it's kind of amazing.  The more I pay attention to what I'm eating, making sure I'm getting real exercise in, and hanging out with my HappyLight each morning for a bit, the more ready I am for the challenges of the day.

I think I've also decided that multi-tasking is a load of crap.  Each morning I've been sitting down and taking 5 minutes to make a list - not my old "to-do list", but a specific hourly list.  When I really need help staying focused I set the alarm on my phone to ding me each hour so I can see where I'm at and stay on track.  This is particularly helpful when I am working at home.  Each hour I take a minute to check in on my day.  At the end of the day I take 5 more minutes to see what needs to be taken care of the next day.  That's it.  I just ordered the book that this strategy came from and am looking forward to the next step.

18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done    Peter Bregman


Here's the thing.  I am an Idea Person.  I am an Originator.  I am a Dreamer.  I am a Creator.  These are all amazing things to be.  However, as one who works mostly independently, it means I have a lot of great ideas and projects etc. that NEVER GET DONE.  

This is the year they get done or dismissed.  I'm working to create structures that help bring me back to earth a little bit as a doer, or a pragmatist, by making my lists and actually getting things done.  I'm also ready to bring other's into my business world and really begin to create and grow my little Music and Arts Community into something that I can be super proud of.

I feel like the 20-something energizer bunny has re-surfaced and is meeting the 40-something wise woman and the potential to rock the world is kind of exciting.  I think my husband is in shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment